Setting up this blog has been an interesting journey. I’ve redone the thing about 5 times and finally settled on using a combination of Jekyll and Hyde (almost funny considering it took me so long to decide).
Some of the frustrations I’ve run into so far:
- Instructions seem sparse and as a result setup took a few tries
- Switching between different setups can cause a major headache (protip: pick one before pushing to Github or fear the repo-moster)
- Markdown is a completely new language to me. While people seem to love the simplicity of it, it seems to lack features. I am hoping that I will get used to using it as I blog more.
Getting my domain hosted by 1&1 to point to my Github URL has proven to be rather difficult. I’ve been researching this setup most of the evening and have yet to come up with a solution. Current setup as follows:
- Subdomain created for www
- Set www Subdomain CNAME to point to username.github.io
- Set main domain to redirect to www Subdomain
- Create CNAME file with
domainname.comwww.domainname.com in it and push to Github
Current status it’s working!!!!
validate and fix domain issues for the blog
- enable Tag view of posts being created
- drink another celebratory beer when complete or when a good effort has been detected